1. Membership of the Association shall be open to all persons who are 21 years of age and above, and are involved in scholarly or scientific investigation and advancement of the field of Applied Mechanics within organizations engaged in research and development activities. Post doctoral fellows or students pursuing postgraduate studies in the above mentioned field, and are attached to established R&D organizations, will also be considered for membership. There shall be 4 categories of membership:
1.1. Honorary Membership
1.1.1. The President or General Secretary may, at his discretion, invite a distinguished researcher to become an Honorary Member of the Association on such terms as the Executive Committee may from time to time decide.
1.1.2. An Honorary Member is not allowed to stand for elections to the Executive Committee. He shall have no right to vote at the General Meetings.
1.2. Ordinary Membership
1.2.1. Ordinary membership shall be open to all researchers in Applied Mechanics or related fields.
1.2.2. An ordinary Member shall, upon acceptance and payment of all due fees and subscriptions, be entitled to use the full facilities of the Association. Only Ordinary Members who have paid up fully shall have the right to vote at General Meetings or stand for election to the Executive Committee.
1.3. Student Membership
1.3.1. Student membership shall be open to all students whose majors are related to Applied Mechanics
1.3.2. A Student Member shall, upon acceptance and payment of all due fees and subscriptions, be entitled to use the full facilities of the Association. Student Members shall not have the right to vote at General Meetings nor stand for election to the Executive Committee.
1.4. Corporate Membership
1.4.1. Corporate membership shall be open to all companies and organizations registered in the world, subject to the approval of the Executive Committee.
1.4.2. Corporate Members shall be entitled to use the Association’s premises to promote their activities; place advertisements in the Association’s newsletter and publications at privileged rates; hold talks and seminars for the Members; and nominate up to eight persons from the company or organization to attend the Association’s activities at the rates charged to Ordinary Members.
1.4.3. Corporate Members shall have no right to vote in General Meetings.
2. Each member is permitted to hold only one category of membership at any one time. The membership is non-transferable.
3. The Executive Committee shall have the authority to restrict the number of members at any time and from time to time rescind such restriction and may order applications for memberships be held in abeyance for this purpose.
4. Membership Application and Fees
4.1 A person who wishes to join the Association shall submit his particulars to the Secretary on a prescribed form. The Executive Committee shall decide on the application for membership. A copy of the Constitution shall be furnished to every approved member.
4.2 The annual subscriptions payable are as follows:
1) Student Member $20 (SGD$28)
2) Ordinary Member $50 (SGD$70)
3) Corporate Member $500 (SGD$700)
4.3 Honorary Members may be exempted from the payment of subscription fees subject to the approval of the Executive Committee.
4.4 The entrance fees and subscriptions shall be determined by the General Meetings of members on recommendation from the Executive Committee from time to time.
4.5 Fees and subscriptions due from members should be paid by crossed cheques or postal order made payable to “International Association of Applied Mechanics” or by any other means deemed acceptable by the Executive Committee. Payments in cash will only be recognized if evidenced by an official receipt.
4.6 Any additional fund required for special purposes may only be raised from members with the consent of the General Meeting of members.
5. Cessation of Membership
Any member may resign from the Association by giving the Secretary a notice in writing to the effect but such member shall pay all debts due to the Association including the subscription due for the year in which such notice is given.